Environmental Science Resources
David Spencer's Education Paragon is a free educational resource portal helping David Spencer's secondary school students, their parents and teaching colleagues with understanding, designing, applying and delivering assessment, curriculum, educational resources, evaluation and literacy skills accurately and effectively. This wiki features educational resources for Indigenous Aboriginal education, field trips for educators, law and justice education, music education and outdoor, environmental and experiential education. Since our web site launch on September 27, 2006, online site statistics and web rankings indicate there are currently 1,883 pages and 19,171,729 page views using 7.85 Gig of bandwidth per month. Pages are written, edited, published and hosted by Brampton, Ontario, Canada based educator David Spencer. On social media, you may find David as @DavidSpencerEdu on Twitter, as DavidSpencerdotca on Linkedin.com and DavidSpencer on Prezi. Please send your accolades, feedback and resource suggestions to David Spencer. Share on social media with the hashtag #EducationParagon. Thank you for visiting. You may contact David Spencer here.
Environmental Science (SVN3M)
This course provides students with the fundamental knowledge of and skills relating to environmental science that will help them succeed in life after secondary school. Students will explore a range of topics, including the role of science in addressing contemporary environmental challenges; the impact of the environment on human health; sustainable agriculture and forestry; the reduction and management of waste; and the conservation of energy. Students will increase their scientific and environmental literacy and examine the interrelationships between science, the environment, and society in a variety of areas.
Prerequisite: Grade 10 Science, Applied or Academic
- Sources and Types of Environmental Pollutants
- Health Hazards of Heavy-Metal Pollutants
- The Indoor Environment
- Keeping Our Water Safe
- Making Positive Changes
- Conventional Methods of Energy Production
- Alternative Methods of Energy Production
- Measuring Electrical Energy Consumption
- Conservation and Improving Energy Efficiency at Home
- Conservation and Improving Energy Efficiency on the Road
- What is Waste?
- The Base of the Pyramid: Landfills and Incineration
- The Top of the Pyramid: The 3 Rs
- Hard-to-Manage Wastes
- Looking to the Future
- Pests and Pesticides
- Soil—It's Not Just Dirt
- Sustainable Agricultural Practices
- Forestry—Managing a Key Natural Resource
- Greening the Urban Landscape
Environmental Science (SVN3E)
This course provides students with the fundamental knowledge of and skills relating to environmental science that will help them succeed in work and life after secondary school. Students will explore a range of topics, including the impact of human activities on the environment; human health and the environment; energy conservation; resource science and management; and safety and environmental responsibility in the workplace. Emphasis is placed on relevant, practical applications and current topics in environmental science, with attention to the refinement of students’ literacy and mathematical literacy skills as well as the development of their scientific and environmental literacy.
Prerequisite: Science, Grade 9, Academic or Applied, or a Grade 9 or 10 locally developed compulsory credit (LDCC) course in science
What are three (3) resources or strategies you need?
What are three (3) resources or strategies you need for your Environmental Science course? Send your answers here.
Resources We Plan to Use with Our Students
Name a textbook, print resource, digital resource, video or online resource you plan to use with your students in your Environmental Science course.
- Career Cruising offers a suite of online career guidance and planning tools designed for people of all ages. Using our tools, you can find the right career, explore education and training options, build your own portfolio, manage your school’s course selection process, or set up a career development network in your community. http://www.careercruising.com
- Career Day
- EatRealEatLocal.ca Choose Canadian food. Choose local. Eat local. An environmental literacy and citizenship action site hosted by Hellmann's Mayonnaise Real Food Movement http://www.eatrealeatlocal.ca/
- Ontario EcoSchools is an environmental education program for grades 1-12 that helps students develop ecological literacy while engaged in practices to become environmentally responsible citizens. Developed and run by school boards, Ontario EcoSchools also helps improve school building operations to reduce environmental impacts. http://ontarioecoschools.org/
- Peel Waste Management Facility
- Peel Water Treatment Plant
Resources that Inspired Our Professional Learning
Name a textbook, book, print resource, digital resource, video, online resource or environmental organization that has provided you with inspiration and professional learning.
- Environmental Science Interactions http://www.environmentalscienceinteractions.com/
- COEO (Council of Outdoor Educators of Ontario) http://www.coeo.org
- OAGEE (Ontario Association for Geographic and Environmental Education) http://www.oagee.org
- OSEE (Ontario Society for Environmental Education) http://www.osee.org
- STAO (Science Teachers Association of Ontario) http://www.stao.org
- Book "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv http://richardlouv.com
Places on the Web To Post Environmental Science Course Resources
Where on the web should we post Environmental Science course resources and ideas we would like to share with each other?
- David Spencer's Education Paragon: An educator managed wiki connecting resources with educators and parents and helps students develop citizenship, literacy, responsibility and vision. http://education.davidspencer.ca
- EnvironmentalScienceOntario: A Google Group set up and managed by David Weightman http://groups.google.ca/group/environmentalscienceontario
- Outdoor Paragon is a page of outdoor, experiential and environmental education resources for use by everyone. http://op.davidspencer.ca