Canada: History, Identity and Culture (CHI4U) with David
David Spencer's Education Paragon is a free educational resource portal helping David Spencer's secondary school students, their parents and teaching colleagues with understanding, designing, applying and delivering assessment, curriculum, educational resources, evaluation and literacy skills accurately and effectively. This wiki features educational resources for Indigenous Aboriginal education, field trips for educators, Davids Music Jam, law and justice education, music education and outdoor, environmental and experiential education. Since our web site launch on September 27, 2006, online site statistics and web rankings indicate there are currently 1,878 pages and 14,603,137 page views using 7.85 Gig of bandwidth per month. Pages are written, edited, published and hosted by Brampton, Ontario, Canada based educator David Spencer. On social media, you may find David as @DavidSpencerEdu on Twitter, as DavidSpencerdotca on Linkedin.com and DavidSpencer on Prezi. Please send your accolades, feedback and resource suggestions to David Spencer. Share on social media with the hashtag #EducationParagon. Thank you for visiting.
Canada: History Identity and Culture (CHI4U)
The following course Canada: History Identity and Culture is designed for an alternative secondary school setting by educator David Spencer.
Course Code: CHI4U
Course Description: The Canada: History, Identity and Culture course (CHI4U) explores the challenges associated with the formation of a Canadian national identity. Students will examine the social, political, and economic forces that have shaped Canada from the pre-contact period to the present and will investigate the historical roots of contemporary issues from a variety of perspectives. Students will use critical-thinking and communication skills to consider events and ideas in historical context, debate issues of culture and identity, and present their own views.
Categories ---Percentage of the Course
Knowledge and Understanding: 15%
Culminating Unit: 15%
Final Evaluation: 15%
- Course Outline
- Unit 1: Canadian History, Identity and Culture
- Homework Discussion
- Textbooks Assigned
- Unit 2: Significant Canadian Events, Inventions and Programs
- Test on The Map of North America K=__/20
- Unit 3: Culminating Unit (CU) for Canada: History, Identity and Culture explained
- Choose your Culminating Unit (CU) topic
- Field Trip to the local public Library to:
- Learn how to use the Dewey Decimal Classification
- Introduction to the Library of Congress Classification
- Research for your Culminating Unit (CU) for Canada: History, Identity and Culture
- Oral Quiz # 1 on coursework and library field trip
- Unit 4: Significant Canadian People
- Culminating Unit (CU) for Canada: History, Identity and Culture in class research and writing work period.
- Culminating Unit (CU) for Canada: History, Identity and Culture Part One Due
- Unit 5: Canada's First Peoples
- Video "The Oka Crisis of 1990" from Canada A People's History. CBC Television Brampton Library Catalogue #971 Can V 17 (In an uncertain world)
- Unit 6: Acadia, The Fall of New France and Canada After the Conquest assigned.
- Test # 1 on Units 1,2,3 (Culminating Unit), 4 and Unit 5
- Culminating Unit (CU) for Canada: History, Identity and Culture in class research and writing work period. Prepare your rough copy to show next class.
- Make jot notes on the video "Expulsion : the story of Acadia". CBC Radio-Canada
- Culminating Unit (CU) for Canada: History, Identity and Culture Part Two due today.
- Unit 3: Culminating Unit (CU) for Canada: History, Identity and Culture final copy is due.
- Unit 8: Canadian Culture and Identity and singing O Canada
- Oral Quiz # 2 on CU and coursework
- Unit 9: Canadian Social Issues
- Write Test # 2 on Units 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Unit 10: Canada on the World Stage
- In class work and study period. Last day to hand in outstanding work is this Friday June 5 at 2:45 p.m.
- Review for the Final Summative Assessment.
- Write the Final Summative Assessment.
- View your Final Summative Assessment and final mark