# 5 Topic:
Population and Demography
Unit # 5
Topic: Population and Demography Issues
Video Notes Marking Scheme: (Communication ______/10 marks)
Textbook Work Marking Scheme: (Thinking ______/65 marks)
2. (page 49) Summarize the meaning of the expression "population explosion".
3. (page 49) Summarize the results and problems encountered by a country if the population declines.
4. (page 50) What two facts stand out about "hunters and gatherers"?
5. (page 52) What is the most important result of farming? Explain.
6. (page 53) How did the agricultural revolution affect the world's population? Explain.
7. (page 52) Examine Fig 4-5. List three (3) positive results from having a more reliable food supply.
8. (page 53) What happened to the importance of a person's physical strength in the industrial revolution?
9. (page 53) How did the production of steel affect agriculture during the industrial revolution?
10. (page 54) How did the industrial revolution effect agriculture and the resulting extra agricultural workers?
11. birth rate and the Canadian connection
12. death rate and the Canadian connection
13. dependency load and the Canadian connection
14. emigration rate and the Canadian connection
15. immigration rate and the Canadian connection
16. infant mortality rate and the Canadian connection
17. life expectancy and the Canadian connection
18. natural increase rate for less developed countries compared with Canada
19. population growth rate
20. population pyramid and how it helps to compare countries
21. total fertility rate
(pages 22-23) Define
and provide country examples for each of the
five worlds in the Five-World model.
24. Second World countries-
25. Third World countries-
26. Fourth World countries-
27. Fifth World countries-
(page 22) In Figure 2-3, examine the map of the world and the legend.
28. Describe where most of the First (1st) World countries are located.
29. Describe where most of the Fifth (5th) World countries are located.
30. In your opinion and from what we have learned so far, why do you think leaders of Fifth (5th) World countries such as Bangladesh, Ethiopia and Haiti are struggling to develop and improve their situation? Explain.
32. (page 57) In your notebook, label the title and copy down the chart Fig 4-10 "A Description of Population Pyramids 1 and 2".
33. Which population pyramid might represent Canada? Why? Explain.
34. Which population pyramid might represent a Fifth World country such as Bangladesh? Why? Explain.
The Theory of Demographic
35. (page 61) What has happened to family size over recent generations? Explain.
36. (page 61) Define the term "demographic transition".
(page 61) Examine the green
box "Did you know?". Compare the historical population
development records of Canada and Sweden.
39. List the factors in 1750 that caused a short life expectancy for residents of Sweden
A Falling Death Rate
40. (page 64) Summarize Doctor Ignaz Semmelweis' germ theory of disease.
41. Why is the story of Doctor Semmelweis' a sad one? Explain.
42. Why is Joseph Lister significant to fighting disease in developed countries? Explain.
43. (page 450 Glossary) Define the term overpopulation.
(page 77) Read the page "The
45. (page 77) Describe the what the economy of India must provide to support the 18 million people who are added to India each year.
(page 82-83) Read about
China's "One - Child Policy"
47. (page 83) What was the goal of China's family-planning measures?
48. (page 83) Examine three serious problems tied to China's population control policies. Describe one (1) of these problems and provide your opinion on the ethical or human right issue.
Research Start up your computer
and log on the Internet here.
Start up your computer
and log on the Internet here.
50. What was Canada's population in 2001?
51. Calculate the population change between 2001 and the year that one of your parents was born.
Visit the Population
Clock for Canada on the following page on the Internet
53. List the three (3) factors that affect Canada's population growth , (Refer to the sentence "This growth is broken down into:")
Population of the United States of
Visit the following page on
the Internet <http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFPopulation?_event=Search&_name=
56. Compare California's population with Canada's population.
Population of the
58. Now count to 10 and refresh the web page. What is the population of the world after 10 seconds?
59. How many people were born after 10 seconds?